Monday 20 December 2010

Evaluation Question One

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge the conventions of real media products?

I have used three different types of media whilst making my product. These were a double page review spread,a 5 minuite short film and a poster advertising my short film.
For my short film I decided that I would like to do a campaign. Once i had decided this I brainstormed all of the possible idea's for a campaign.
I thought about the possible idea's of my campaign being about selfharm, homophobia, rasism or sexism. I researched into current campaigns i had seen on the tv or internet. I found that many of these were campainging for a charity.

I decided that I would do my campaign on domestic violence. However my campaign would challenge the norms and values of many campaigns as it would be promoting a helpline rather than asking audience to donate. After analysing many short films about domestic violence it seemed that the most effective were the ones that were very simple yet had a strong message. This is why I decided to try and keep my short film as simple as possible.
Inspiration for my short film mainly came from a campaign starring Keira Knightly.
. This short filmed used action shots showing the fighting scenes. These shots shock the audience and that is exactly what i wanted to do with my short film.
I challenged norms and conventions by showing a story instead of just the actual abuse. When i looked more into domestic violence campaigns I found they were very one sided and only looked at the story from one point of view. This is stereotypically a male beating a female. My short film differs in this way because I start my short film with looking at the two characters as a couple,in love.


Looking at different short film posters i found that many of them signified women not being able to speak. For example the one below. This short film posters symbolises the women not being able to escape from something. My short film poster is very different as I use a picture of the couple in love. This may draw the audience in and want to know what happens to the couple.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


With my short film review, i tried to stick with the traditional norms and conventions of a review. I used colums to seperate the texts and also used a rating scale of stars. These too things are both often seen in film reviews to make the writing look tidy and informative. I wanted to do this with my review as it is about a very seriouss subject and wanted the audience to take it seriously.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment